Cricket SA director of cricket Enoch Nkwe said there was no influence on his side for Proteas white ball coach Rob Walter to vacate his post.
Image: Backpagepix
Cricket SA (CSA) director of cricket Enoch Nkwe said there was influence on his side for Proteas white ball coach Rob Walter to vacate his post.
CSA made the shock announcement that Walter would be resigning at the end of April in a statement released on Tuesday.
It’s said that Walter quit his post due to ‘personal reasons’ and it’s unlikely we’ll ever find out just exactly what that means. Of course, Walter as coach will have taken a lot of criticism – a lot of it unfair – for failing to win an ICC event during his tenure.
But then only one coach in South Africa’s men’s senior team history has managed that feat, which was Bob Woolmer in 1998.
"From our side, there was no pressure," Nkwe told SportsBoom.co.za.
"We took the time to understand his personal situation and accepted his resignation with the utmost respect.”
Outside of ICC events, Walter also has only managed one bilateral series win as coach, which could have contributed to his decision.
Walter did, however, oversee the side to their first-ever Cricket World Cup final when they came up against India last year. Ultimately, India triumphed in that fateful T20 trophy match, but it was still major progress for the senior men’s team in a Cricket World Cup.
The Proteas also reached the semi-final of the 2023 50-over World Cup and the ICC Champions Trophy last four just under a month ago.
“Rob has done an immense job for South African cricket over the past two years," Nkwe added.
"It is also important to recognise Rob’s commitment to expanding the talent pool across both formats. While in charge, he ensured that emerging players had the opportunity to develop and make their mark at the highest level, which will be critical for the future of the Proteas.”
@Michael_Sherman
Related Topics: