TRIAL WITHIN A TRIAL: Steveno van Rhyn and Jacquen 'Boeta' Appollis claim they were tortured by police.
Image: Ayanda Ndamane/ Independent Newspapers
JOSHLIN Smith co-accused Steveno van Rhyn’s claims of police torture het platgeval after a confession video was played in court.
Van Rhyn, known as Steffie, last week told the Western Cape High Court that cops had beaten him up, put a gun in his mouth and knyped his knaters as they questioned him about the kidnapping and trafficking of the Middelpos meisie.
Van Rhyn is on trial alongside chommie Jacquen “Boeta” Appollis and Joshlin’s mom, Kelly Smith.
His claims sparked a trial within a trial, but his version fell to pieces yesterday.
Before the footage was shown to the court, the State called Colonel Eddie Clark to the stand.
Clark is from the Western Cape Serious and Violent Crimes Unit and has 32 years of service under his belt.
Clark is also one of the investigators in the mammoth trial, currently also running in the Western Cape High Court against alleged underworld kingpin, Nafiz Modack and co-accused.
As the footage was shown, Clark is seen sitting at a desk with Van Rhyn seated opposite him.
The footage shows Clark explaining to Van Rhyn what the charges are and how things will proceed from that point forward.
Van Rhyn clearly says he understands.
Clark goes through the J88 where the doctor had noted the injuries Van Rhyn sustained. On Wednesday, Sergeant Mzamo Mbovane from Vredenburg SAPS testified that Van Rhyn told the doctor he sustained injuries to his legs and arms after falling from his friend’s bakkie.
In the footage, Van Rhyn again confirmed he fell from the bakkie.
The footage ended after Van Rhyn explained he was hungry and needed to take medication.
The court heard the confession was not finalised.
During cross-examination, Nobahle Mkabayi, Van Rhyn’s lawyer, claimed her client was not taken to the doctor for procedural reasons but due to him being tortured.
Clark said he could not respond as he was not part of the matter.
She also claimed in the footage, she hears shackles, however, he disputed this. Clark went as far as asking for handcuffs from police officers to indicate the sound she heard was indeed handcuffs.
The footage was once again played, where Mkabayi swallowed her words and stated she had misheard the first time and that it indeed was handcuffs.
Judge Erasmus went as far as stating he is not sure if he and the defence were watching the same footage.
Meanwhile, proceedings got off to a dramatic start yesterday when Kelly was excused due to a medical emergency.
Two police officers then assisted in escorting Kelly out of court.
She could barely walk and was leaning on the female police officers for support.
MISSING: Joshlin Smith has been missing since 19 February 2024.
Image: Supplied
SICK DAY: Kelly Smith had to be assisted while walking into court.
Image: Robin-Lee Francke/IOL