Durban ICC.
Durban — Just who footed the R4.7 million bill for the ANC Women's League (ANCWL) elective conference, held at Durban’s ICC, is under investigation.
Opposition political parties want to know if the eThekwini Municipality used ratepayers money to foot the bill for the conference held in August 2023.
EThekwini Municipality spokesperson Gugu Sisilana confirmed, on Monday, that the City’s Integrity and Investigations Unit (CIIU) had pro-actively launched an investigation into the matter in August. Sisilana said the probe was launched after media allegations surfaced.
ActionSA KZN provincial chairperson Zwakele Mncwango said it was an irregular use of public funds to pay for ANC party activities. Mncwango said eThekwini’s inaction in the matter of payment required public scrutiny.
“We are aware that the final invoice from the ICC totalled R4 794 824.21, which was submitted to the municipality. In a damning development, the deputy city manager, Sipho Cele’s signature appears on the agreement contract between the municipality and the ICC.
ActionSA requested that the investigation focus on the following:
Sisilana made it clear that the CIIU investigation was not done because of the complaint lodged, last week, by ActionSA.
Sisilana said the investigative work carried out by the CIIU is not driven by political party complaints.
“The City Integrity and Investigations Unit pro-actively investigates any issue that calls into question the City’s integrity without fear or favour, as it was done in this instance,” Sisilana said.
WhatsApp your views on this story at 071 485 7995.
Daily News